Langsdale's History | Mr.Langsdale
On February 16, 1967, R. Loran Langsdale died quietly in his sleep while on his annual winter sojourn to St. Petersburg, Florida. At seventy-five he was the last of the active founders of the University of Baltimore and still Chair of the Board of Trustees. The year before his death the University's new library was named after him in recognition of over forty years of dedication to the institution he helped to create.
R. Loran Langsdale's portrait hangs in a place of honor in the library that bears his name. Loran Langsdale was born in 1892 at Quantico, in the Eastern Shore's Wicomico County. He received an undergraduate degree in 1910 from Washington College. This was followed by a law degree from the University of Maryland in 1914.
It was during the first World War that he became interested in advertising. Mr. Langsdale worked on the enlistment campaign sponsored by the Navy League before Selective Service included the Navy. In 1916 he reorganized the advertising agency of Moffet and Lynch, changing its name to the Maryland Advertising Company. He began his own firm, Langsdale Advertising, four years later. In 1962, Langsdale retired and turned his advertising agency over to his son, Loran B. Langsdale, who also served as a Trustee of the University.
Loran Langsdale enjoyed great success as an advertising executive, but his greatest accomplishment was the establishment, with several other businessmen and educators, of the University of Baltimore in 1925. He served the budding university as an unpaid treasurer from 1925 until 1940, an instructor in the College of Business Administration, and Chair of the Board of Trustees from 1940 until his death in 1967. Under his direction, the University of Baltimore developed into a complex of buildings on two campuses with an enrollment of more than 5,000 students.
On April 12, 1967 the University's Board of Trustees paid tribute to R. Loran Langsdale with a four-page memorial resolution. The memorial states, "During Mr. Langsdale's lifetime, nothing was too much trouble for him if it involved the welfare and growth of our University." The Resolution also notes that it was Mr. Langsdale who personally selected three of the University Presidents: Drs. Theodore A. Wilson, Wilmer J. DeHuff (acting), and Thomas G. Pullen, Jr.
On the corner of Oliver Street and Maryland Avenue stands Langsdale Library, a constant reminder of the man and an important part of what he helped to accomplish in the founding of the University of Baltimore.
"A Moment in UB's History: Robert Loran Langsdale", by Tom Hollowak, Archivist, Langsdale Link, September 1993