Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
You can connect with a writing consultant through our Facebook page by using Facebook Messenger.
The online chat is most useful for quick writing-related questions.
You can ask specific questions about your assignment, but for feedback on your draft, please make an appointment with us.
We will always try to answer any questions right away, but please understand that we might not always be able to reply instantly because we may be working with one of your classmates.
If you message us after 4 p.m. or on the weekends, we will get back to you the next business day.
Writing matters both in the classroom and the workplace.
All writers benefit from feedback. Our writing consultants can help you:
- brainstorm and outline ideas
- review drafts at any stage of your writing process.
Our goal is not necessarily to act as a proofreader, but to give you the tools to become your own editor. Together, you and your writing consultant will focus on:
- structure and organization: Is your writing clear and understandable? Does it meet the assignment's guidelines?
- punctuation, grammar and style: Does your writing meet the standards of academic and professional writing?
We can give you feedback on any course-related writing assignments as well as personal statements for graduate/professional schools or scholarship applications.
Consultations take place in three formats:
Face to FaceWriting consultants are available for 45-minute appointments. You can easily make an appointment through our online appointment system up to 10 days in advance.
Walk-in appointments are also welcome, but we encourage you to schedule an appointment as we might be booked when you come in.
Online Chat (Text or Video)If you cannot make it in person, some writing consultants are also available for online appointments via text chat or video chat.
- In a video chat, you'll be able to see and speak to your writing consultant using your computer's web cam, microphone and speakers.
- In a text chat, you'll communicate with the consultant using a text messenger similar to texting applications on most cell phones.
We also hold a live chat for students who are unable to come to campus on Wednesdays from 4-6 p.m. To enter the chat, log in to MyUB and click the Online Writing Lab (OWL) icon in the Tools section.
Online SubmissionFor quick feedback, you can submit your paper electronically and one of our writing consultants will review it carefully and return it to you with general suggestions for revision. Our goal is to return papers within two business days of your submission.
Please be aware that we can only offer feedback for up to five double-spaced pages, and our comments tend to be more general than you would receive in a consultation when dialogue is possible.
To submit your paper:
- Log in to MyUB.
- Click on the Online Writing Lab (OWL) icon in the Tools section.
- Follow the instructions to upload your paper.