What you need to know about borrowing.
To begin, you must have a 14 digit library patron number placed on the back of your ID card and you must be currently registered as a student,faculty or staff member. See a circulation staff member if you have any questions or phone us at (410) 837-4260.
Follow the steps below to acquire items from other USM University System of Maryland libraries;
Step 1: Use the Catalog to search for the title you want.
When searching the Catalog be sure to choose the University System of Maryland option from the drop down menu.
- Step 2: Once you have located the title you want, click on the title (should be a link) to see the full record.
- Step 3: Locate the listing for University System of Maryland Libraries in the Find a copy in the library section of the results.
- Step 4: Click on the blue Request button
- Step 5: You will be asked to sign in with your NetID and password. (Alumni and non-UB Students will need to obtain an active library barcode in order to place requests.)
- Step 6: Read each screen, and follow the directions that will guide you through the process.
As soon as a copy is available, it will be sent to the location you specify in the request process. Library materials will be sent via UPS from any USM location to any USM location.
Any circulating book at any USM Library can be sent to Langsdale free of charge and placed on the hold shelf for you.
The Catalog even permits you to place a hold request on UB books to be brought from the shelves for you by the afternoon of the next business day. If the Catalog showed that the item you wanted was on the shelf at UB, you may call the Circulation Department at 410-837-4260 after 2pm the next business day after placing the hold. Staff will be able to inform you whether the item has been placed on the hold shelf for you.
If the item you have requested is on shelf at another participating USM library, the item will usually arrive after 2pm, three to four business days after you have placed the hold. If the item is charged out or being held for another patron, your hold will enter a queue and a copy will be sent to location you specify in the request and held for you when it becomes available.
All USM library materials may be returned to any USM library, regardless of where they were picked up or which library owns them. All USM library materials may be returned in the bookdrop at the front of the Langsdale Library.
Participating USM Schools:
- BC University of Maryland Baltimore County
- BL University of Baltimore Law Library
- BS Bowie State University
- CS Coppin State College
- ES University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- FS Frostburg State University
- ML University of Maryland Law Library
- SM St. Mary's College of Maryland
- SS Salisbury State University
- TS Towson University
- UB University of Baltimore
- UMCP University of Maryland College Park Libraries
- AC Architecture
- AR Art
- CH Chemistry
- EP Engineering and Physical Science
- LS Library School
- MK McKeldin
- PA Performing Arts
- UMUC University of Maryland University College
- AN Annapolis Center
- SF Staff Library
- SG Shady Grove
- WC Waldorf Center
- Center for Environmental and Estuarine Studies
- CH Chesapeake Bio. Lab.
- HP Horn Point Lab.
- Step 1: Use the Catalog to search for the title you want.
What do I need to borrow books, DVD, etc?
To borrow a book you must have an ID from UB, a University System of Maryland institution, or a cooperating institution (see list of institutions below), which has been validated for the current semester.
DVDs are only available to UB students, faculty, staff or alumni.
How long can I keep a book or DVD?
Books, government documents, and annual reports: Can be checked out for 4 weeks. 2 renewals are allowed, if no hold has been placed on the item(s) by another patron, and can be done in person, by phone, or online.
Media (DVD and VHS): A total of 5 can be checked out for 7 days (UB students, faculty, staff and alumnus only).
Reserves: Most reserves are in-library use only, with a two-hour limit. A reserve may be renewed if it has not been requested by another patron. Outside-library use is determined by the instructor.
What can not be checked out of the library?
Books: Reference and Special Collection materials do not circulate except in rare cases through approval of the Reference department. In such cases they are charged and returned at the Reference Desk.
Periodicals: Periodicals (magazines, journals, newspapers) do not circulate.
Government Documents: Documents that have been checked-out before can circulate. Previously uncirculated documents must be approved for circulation by the librarian on duty at the second floor Reference Desk.
Reserves: Up to three reserve items may be checked out at the same time.
What Items do I have currently checked out?
You can view your library account to see what items you have checked out to you and when they are due.
Can I renew a book or DVD?
You can renew your books or media items online through the USMAI catalog. You can also renew items in person or by phone. Up to 2 renewals are allowed for each item, unless someone has placed a hold/recall on it.
Where do I return a book?
Books can be returned to the Circulation desk on the 1st floor of Langsdale Library. Langsdale also has a book deposit at its Maryland Avenue entrance which allows patrons to return books even when the library is closed to the public. Overdue books may also be returned in the book drop. All books found in the deposit when the library reopens are considered returned on the last day the library was open.
Patrons who return books at the desk may request a return receipt.
What are the fines if my items are overdue?
Overdue items: All circulating items: After a three day grace period, fines on these overdue items accrue at a rate of 25 cents per day from the original due date. The maximum fine is $20.00
Recalled Items: $1.50/day, up to a maximum fine of $25.00.
Lost Item Fees:
The unreturned / lost item replacement fee is assessed for lost items and for damaged items that can no longer circulate. In lieu of the fee, patrons may submit a replacement copy that is in very good condition and the same edition/ISBN as the item borrowed; authorization must be given prior to purchase. A withdrawn item from another library's collection is not an acceptable replacement.
What if I want a book that is currently checked out?
You can place a recall on a book that is currently checked out, by clicking on the yellow Request button for that book in the catalog. The current holder will receive a notice asking him or her to return the book and you will be notified when it becomes available. For more details see Hold-Recall Procedure.
Can I borrow books from other Libraries?
University of Baltimore students, faculty, and staff have borrowing privileges at the following libraries, subject to their borrowing policies:
University System of Maryland (USM) Libraries
- Morgan State University
- St. Mary's College of Maryland
- Bowie State University-BSU
- Coppin State College-CSC
- Frostburg State University-FSU
- Salisbury State University-SSU
- Towson University-TU
- University of Baltimore Law Library-UBLL
- University of Maryland, Baltimore: Health Sciences & Law Libraries-UMHS, UMLL
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County-UMBC
- University of Maryland, Eastern Shore-UMES
- University of Maryland, Center for Environmental Science-UMCES
- University of Maryland, College Park-UMCP
- University of Maryland, University College-UMUC
Books from the above libraries may also be requested by the patron for delivery to Langsdale Library by placing a Hold/Recall through the Catalog. Please ask a staff member for help in using this service.
Baltimore Collegetown Academic Libraries
- Coppin State University
- Goucher College
- Loyola/Notre Dame Library
- Maryland Institute College of Art
- Morgan State University
- Stevenson University (formerly Villa Julie College)
- Towson University
- UMBC Library
Current students may also borrow materials from any CCBC campus using their UB ID.
How can I borrow books Langsdale does not own?
Can I borrow a Laptop from Langsdale Library?