Collection Title: Baltimore City Public Schools Social Work Services (BCPS)
Inclusive Dates: 1936-2008
Size: 11.8 linear feet
Scope and Contents:
Correspondence, handbooks, administrative files, clippings, and publications.
In 1973, the Baltimore City Public Schools (BCPS) underwent a reorganization that changed the system from a centralized administrative structure to a decentralized one that encompassed nine regions. As a result, major executive and managerial functions were moved from system headquarters to nine buildings throughout the city, and regional superintendents were given greater authority. Along with this restructuring, the School Social Work's (SSW) record room was eliminated. The record keeping systems of other BCPS programs were affected as well, including psychological services, psychiatric services, attendance and court services, the home visitors service, a paraprofessional program, and other pupil services programs. Without a formal program for retaining their records through BCPS, professional staff in the SSW began compiling and retaining copies of their own records.
The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by Joan Y. Harris, ACSW, in 2002.