Collection Title: Baltimore Urban Renewal & Housing Authority (BURHA)
Inclusive Dates: 1962-1967
Size: 7.8 linear feet
Scope and Contents:
This collection contains minutes, correspondence, reports, publications and other material submitted to members of the agency’s governing commission.
In 1956, Mayor Theodore R. Mc Keldin abolished the Baltimore Redevelopment Commission and combined its functions with elements of the City Planning, Health and Welfare departments into a single agency: the Urban Renewal and Housing Agency (BURHA). Led by a new commission, BURHA continued the city's work in acquiring properties, relocating residents, and condemning and clearing existing structures for redevelopment of areas identified as slums. The agency was also tasked with planning new neighborhoods, coordinating community involvement, and code enforcement in those areas.
The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by Charles L. Wagant II, a BURHA Commission member, in 1979.