Collection Title: Belvedere Hotel Corporation (BHC)
Inclusive Dates: 1904-1970
Size: 46.3 linear feet
Scope and Contents:
Sampling of correspondence, minutes, contracts, financial records, appraisals, and operational records (including guest ledgers, banquet records, personnel files, purchasing records and other similar records) of the Belvedere Hotel Corporation and the Sheraton Belvedere Corporation.
The Belvedere Hotel came into being as a community project with funds raised by subscription and bonds. Formal opening took place on December 10, 1903. Built at a cost of $1.75 million, the hotel contained 350 luxuriously furnished rooms. Throughout its history, the Belvedere Hotel experienced a series of financial problems. It was put into receivership in 1906, 1915, and 1933. In 1946, the hotel was purchased by the Sheraton Corporation and modernized. A three million dollar expansion was planned onto the adjoining property, but the plan was dropped in 1956 because of conflict with a potential highway.
The hotel was sold in 1968 to the Wellington Association of New York, and again in 1969 to Gotham Hotels Limited of New York. The building was rented at the time to the Baltimore Institute for use as dormitories, managed by the Snowden Corporation. In January 1972, the Snowden Corporation ceased operations, noting vandalism and fire code violations. The building was sold in 1973 to Morton Sarubin, whose plan to rehabilitate the hotel failed. It was sold again in 1976 to Victor Frenkil, the chairman of the Board of Baltimore Contractors, who intended to rehabilitate the building with 158 apartments, to reopen the dining rooms to the public, and develop a catering service available for ballroom events.
The records of the Belvedere Hotel Corporation were donated to the University of Baltimore on May 26, 1976 by Victor Frenkil, through his agent, Linda Kline.
The collection has been organized into 2 series: