Collection Title: Health & Welfare Council of Maryland (HWC)
Inclusive Dates: 1933-1992
Size: 130.9 linear feet
Scope and Contents:
The collection contains pamphlets, reports and ephemeral items from the organization's library.
The Health & Welfare Council was established in 1933 as the Baltimore Council of Social Agencies. It was a planning, coordinating, and research agency concerned with health, recreation, welfare and employment problems and services in the Baltimore metropolitan region. The staff reserched and prepared reports on needs and problems associated with human services. The council also provided information to service agencies and to the public. In 1992, the HWC succeeded by the Maryland Association of Nonprofit Organizations.
The original collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by John G. Geist, HWC Executive Director, in two accessions: February 15, 1974 and January 30, 1975. An additional accrual was donated by Peter V. Berns, Executive Director of the Maryland Association of Nonprofit Organizations, on June 11, 1992.
The collection has been organized into 6 series: