Collection Title: Light Rail (LR)
Inclusive Dates: 1965-1996
Size: 9.8 linear feet
Scope and Contents:
Correspondence, publications, reports, and newspaper clippings related to development and construction of Baltimore's light-rail public transportation system.
As early as 1957, Baltimore was considering the viable of light-duty railways to alleviate much of the automobile congestion brought on by the demise of the trolley system in the 1950s.
In 1964, the Metropolitan Transit Authority studied the pros and cons of a combined bus/light-rail/subway system versus an all-bus system. The consulting firm of Parsons, Brinkhoff, Quade and Douglas estimated the cost of the combined system at $260 million, as compared to the $50 million all-bus option.
Construction for the Central Corridor Light-Rail System was begun in 1990, with the first sections of track being laid in Timonium near the Maryland State Fairgrounds. Approximately 27 miles long, this system uses a portion of CONRAIL's Northern Central Rail line to the north and the old Baltimore and Annapolis railroad to the south.
The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by George and Carolyn Tyson on March 6, 1996.
The collection has been organized into 6 series: