Collection Title: Pierre C. Dugan & Nephew, Inc. (PCD)
Inclusive Dates: 1873-1975
Size: 36.2 linear feet
Scope and Contents:
Correspondence, financial records, wills, deeds, estate papers, leases, rents, plans/atlases, lists of materials, and contracts covering public and private real estate, including the Basilica Church and New Cathedral Cemetery.
This real estate firm was established in 1866 by Pierre C. Dugan in Baltimore City. In 1870, it was briefly called Dugan and Cooper Real Estate. By 1877, Dugan’s nephew, Hammond J. Dugan, entered the firm as a partner. In 1893, shortly after Pierre’s death, Hammond took into the firm his brother, C. Nelson. After Hammond’s death in 1923, Nelson was the sole proprietor until he entered into a partnership in 1945 with Charles J. Peach and a nephew, Cumberland Dugan. Nelson Dugan died in 1947, and Peach retired in 1958, leaving Cumberland the sole proprietor. In 1980, the firm closed its office on 512 Cathedral Street and relocated in Towson. In 1981, Cumberland Dugan left the firm.
The firm handled commercial and residential property in areas including Guilford, Roland Park, Dundalk, and St. Helena. In later years, the firm actively developed suburban subdivisions in Baltimore County and waterfront properties in both Anne Arundel County and Baltimore City. The Dugans also acted as trustees for the estates of prominent Catholic families and institutions in the metropolitan area.
The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by C.J. Dugan on February 3, 1979.
The collection has been organized into 4 series:
Series III. Plats