Collection Title: Planned Parenthood (PP)
Inclusive Dates: 1927-1973
Bulk Dates: 1929-1966
Size: 50 linear feet
Scope and Contents:
Minutes, correspondence, administrative and personal files, reports, clinic statistics, financial records, educational materials, and reference materials of organization devoted to the education and clinical services in the area of birth control, family planning and marriage counseling.
Planned Parenthood of Maryland, first known as the Bureau for Contraceptive Advice, began in 1927 as a clinic at 1028 N. Broadway, one of thirteen birth control clinics in the nation at that time. It was founded by William H. Howell, Raymond Pearl, J. Whitridge Williams, Donald E. Hooker, and Bessie Moses. The Bureau was financed by private individuals, chiefly Dr. and Mrs. Donald H. Hooker, who also donated the house on Broadway to the organization.
In 1932, the clinic was reorganized under the name of the Baltimore Birth Control Clinic, which was incorporated in 1935. The local organization became a member of the national federation in 1938, and four years later, the name of both the local and national groups was changed to Planned Parenthood. The Maryland League for Planned Parenthood was formed in 1940 to expand clinic services and educational programs statewide.
The records of Planned Parenthood of Maryland were donated to the University of Baltimore by Annette Lieberman in July 1972 and deposited at the University's Baltimore Regional Institutional Studies Center in five accessions between 1972 and 1978.