Collection Title: Young Men's Christian Association of Central Maryland (YMCA)
Inclusive Dates: 1835-1976
Size: 53.0 linear feet
Scope and Contents:
Annual reports, special studies, minutes, old membership books, correspondence, bulletins, yearbooks, financial records, newspaper clippings, photographs, camp cards, and subscriber lists
The Baltimore YMCA was organized November 18, 1852 at the Lombard Street Evangelical Lutheran Church. The first building in the U.S. erected for housing YMCA activities stood at the intersection of Pierce and Schroeder Streets. It was dedicated in 1859 and remained in use until 1907, when the organization moved to its location at Cathedral and Franklin Streets. In 1953, the YMCA operated 12 branches in all.
The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by Richard M. Kelly, President of the YMCA of the Greater Baltimore Area, on October 14, 1980.