Collection Title: John F. Denny, Inc. (DENNY)
Inclusive Dates: 1848-1969
Size: 9.4 linear feet
Scope and Contents:
Non-current expense and sales ledgers, journals, funeral service records, photographs, promotional booklet, and indexes.
In 1848, William Armstrong and John Denny began an undertaking and furniture business in South Baltimore. Armstrong & Denny were one of three similar establishments in the city. William Armstrong was succeeded by his son, James W. Armstrong. Later, Mr. Denny's son, John F., along with James Armstrong's son-in-law, Milton H. Wagoner, joined the firm. The company's name was then changed to Armstrong, Denny & Co.
After the senior Denny died, the business was incorporated and run by the founder's sons and Milton H. Wagoner. In 1919, John F. Denny purchased his two partners' interests and became sole owner, changing the name to John F. Denny, Inc. He continued to operate the business until his death on December 21, 1937. John F. Denny was 72 when he died and had been a funeral director for over half a century.
The John F. Denny Funeral Home, Inc. continued to be operated by members of the Denny family until 1970 when it ceased operation. The firm remained at its original location on the corner of Light and Montgomery Streets during the entire 122 years of its existence.
The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by C. Sherman Denny on July 23, 1980.
The collection has been organized into 3 series: