Collection Title: Maryland Conference of Social Welfare (MCSW)
Inclusive Dates: 1909-1976
Bulk Dates: 1929-1976
Size: 44.8 linear feet
Scope and Contents:
Minutes, general correspondence, memoranda, general reports, committee reports, case file, directories, financial statements and accounts, vouchers, newsletters, bulletins, press releases, programs, and other publications of the MCSW, newspaper clippings, and reference materials.
The MCSW was organized by professional social workers primarily in Baltimore City. In 1926, there was an effort to get the rest of the state involved in the Conference, and later the state was divided into five regions for this purpose. The primary responsibility of the group was the education of social workers through institutes. MCSW was especially active in public welfare through public services and lobbying.
A constitution ratified on November 3, 1932 changed the name from Maryland Conference of Social Work to Maryland Conference of Social Welfare. In 1946, a resolution was passed which indicated that the group had declared itself "action" oriented rather than just a discussion club. It was decided that active participation in legislation and education of the general public was in order. It assumed for itself a "watchdog" role over state and other public agencies. In 1973, the name was again changed to the Maryland Conference of Social Concern.
The Maryland Conference of Social Welfare belongs to a nationwide organization known as the National Conference of Social Welfare and participates in activities and lobbying and shares information on the national scale as well.
The records of the Maryland Conference of Social Welfare were donated to the University of Baltimore by Alice Williams in 1971 and deposited at the University's Baltimore Regional Institutional Studies Center in five accessions between 1971 and 1977.