Collection Title: Samuel Ready School (SRS)
Inclusive Dates: 1864-1977
Size: 68 linear feet
Scope and Contents:
Minutes, correspondence, reports, student and teacher files, publications, photographs, and newspaper clippings.
The Trustees of the Samuel Ready Asylum for Female Orphans was incorporated by Act of the General Assembly of Maryland in 1864. The school's name changed to the Trustees of the Samuel Ready School for Female Orphans in 1894. In 1947, an Act of the Maryland General Assembly extended the use of corporate facilities of the school for maintenance and education of female children of any age, and to charge fees that might be deemed advisable.
On July 1, 1977, the Samuel Ready School became Samuel Ready Scholarships, Inc., done officially by Articles of Amendment and Restatement filed with the Maryland State Deptartment of Assessments and Taxation June 7, 1977. Thus, the Corporation became a supporting organization to provide scholarships for girls in Supported Schools selected by the Trustees. The first three Supported Schools in 1977-1978 were the Bryn Mawr School, the Garrison Forest School, and Roland Park Country School.
The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by Herbert B. Williams in December 1977.