Skip to content
Langsdale Library

WS Collection Overview

Collection Title: Walter Sondheim, Jr. (WS)

Inclusive Dates: 1942-1994

Size: 11.7 linear feet

Scope and Contents:  
Correspondence, photographs, reports, publications, newspaper clippings, etc. 

Historical Note:  
PERSONAL: July 25, 1908 - February 15, 2007 
Married Janet E. Blum, February 15, 1934 
Children: John Sondheim & Ellen S. Dankert 
Grandchildren: Sara K. Baron and Rebecca E. Baron 

EDUCATION: Park School, Baltimore, Maryland - Graduated 1925 
Haverford College, Haverford, Pennsylvania - B.S. 1929 

BUSINESS: 1929-1970: Hochschild Kohn & Company
1944-1946: U.S. Navy
1972-1984: Chairman, Charles Center - Inner Harbor 
1982-1984: Chairman, Market Center Development Corporation 
1984: Executive Assistant to the Mayor of Baltimore 
1984: President, Charles Street Management Corp. 
1985: Management, Inc.  

SELECTED CIVIC ACTIVITIES: Maryland State Chairman, Crusade for Freedom, 1954-55 
President, Board of School Commissioners, Baltimore, 1954-57  
Chairman, Baltimore Urban Renewal and Housing Commission and Housing Authority of Baltimore City, 1951-1963  
Chairman, Advisory Committee, Baltimore City Health Department 
Chairman, Board of Trustees Goucher College 
President, Board of Directors Sinai Hospital of Baltimore 
President, Board of Directors Jewish Family and Children’s Bureau 
Executive Committee, Greater Baltimore Committee, Inc. 
Director, Associated Jewish Charities of Baltimore 
Director, Baltimore Chapter, American Jewish Committee 
Director, Baltimore Jewish Council
Director, Baltimore Goodwill Industries 
Director, Baltimore Urban Coalition 
Director, Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Baltimore, Inc. 
Director, Citizens Planning and Housing Association 
Director, Council for Equal Business Opportunity 
Director, Mercy Hospital, Inc. 
Director, Provident Hospital 

Access Note:
This collection is restricted until January 1, 2017.  Access to any materials from this collection requires written permission from Sondheim family; please contact Special Collections for more information.

Custodial History:  
The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore by John Sondheim and Ellen S. Dankert in April 2007.